Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TODAY!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
Thu November 21, 2013
Capilouto Makes The Case For State Support Of UK
University of Kentucky President Eli Capilouto testified before the General Assembly’s Interim Economic Development Committee Thursday.
In all, the Commonwealth invests roughly $284 million every year in UK.
Thursday, President Capilouto outlined what the state and taxpayers get for their money. "... a $2.7 billion dollar academic and research enterprise that produced 6000 graduates last year, a billion dollar hospital that reaches all corners of the Commonwealth, top tier research and creative scholarship at the basic level but also for immediate application in the community."
The university receives only about 10 percent of its funding from the state, but Capilouto told committee members the dollars remains crucial to UK’s mission.
The meeting, which was held on the UK campus, also included testimony from representatives of the state Chamber of Commerce, who argued in favor of a statewide smoking ban.
A recent survey of chamber members showed 90 percent support for a ban on smoking in all public workplaces.
WUKY In Depth