Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is July 25 with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue August 27, 2013
Business Owners Eagerly Await Arrival Of UK Students
LEXINGTON, Ky. - While professors prepare for packed classrooms, local businesses around the University of Kentucky campus are gearing up for one of their busiest seasons of the year.
For CD Central, The Local Taco, Two Keys Tavern, and other shops that border campus, the return of UK students is a bit like Christmas.
"There is a lot more foot traffic, a lot more car traffic," says Mary Morgan, owner of Sqecial Media.
Mitch Colley, manager of Hugh Jass Burgers on the corner of South Limestone and Avenue of Champions, is blunt: "They mean everything to our bottom line."
Colley says when students arrive their business doubles, triples or even quadruples depending on the day.
William Bodne is with Pazzo’s one shop down and echoes that sentiment.
"We're just full every night. Instead of having Wednesday through Saturday, we're seven days a week," he says.
UK officials have not released enrollment data for this fall, but if last year is any indication, it’s possible UK will be sending record numbers of potential customers their way.