Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TODAY!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
Tue March 30, 2010
Budget Talks Holds Up State Legislative Calendar
By Tony McVeigh
FRANKFORT, Ky. -- – Kentucky lawmakers are taking Tuesday off to allow budget negotiators more time to complete their work.
House Speaker Greg Stumbo says the two sides still can't agree on one billion dollars in bonded school, highway and bridge projects. The projects were approved by the by the House but excluded in the Senate budget version.
"We're holding firm on our commitment to Kentucky families to create those 25,000 thousand jobs that the Jobs for Kentucky Families program would create. Senate acknowledges, by the way, that the program would create those number of jobs, or at least close to that number of jobs."
Stumbo says negotiators hope to reach agreement by Wednesday, to allow for a budget vote on Friday.