Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TODAY!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
Fri February 6, 2009
Budget Deal In The Works?
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – Nothing is firm yet, but it looks like the legislative plan will include a blend of cigarette and alcohol beverage tax increases, plus a raid on the state's Rainy Day Fund. But Senate President David Williams doubts the plan will include state employee furloughs, as suggested by Governor Beshear. "We're going to try to avoid furloughs. We believe people have planned on that money being available and we're going to try to avoid that."
House Speaker Greg Stumbo also hopes to avoid furloughs. Leadership will meet Monday to draft a plan, which would be made public Tuesday. It would get a House floor vote on Wednesday, a Senate vote on Friday and then go immediately to the governor. Speaker Stumbo and President Williams met briefly with Governor Beshear this morning to discuss their plans.