Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is July 25 with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Thu April 24, 2014
Broadcaster Relishes Role As New Kentucky Derby Announcer
Veteran announcer Larry Collmus will call the race for the thousands of fans at Churchill Downs and the millions watching on TV.
Collmus has called the past three Derbies for NBC Sports and will continue as the network's caller for Triple Crown races and the Breeder's Cup.
At Churchill Downs, Collmus says he'll introduce the traditional song “My Old Kentucky Home” before the race, but he says he'll tune out the sing-a-long because he doesn't want to get emotional. He replaces British announcer Mark Johnson, who had called Churchill races since 2009.
The 140th Kentucky Derby will be held May 3.