Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Mon April 28, 2014
Bluegrass Pipeline Project Halted
Two energy companies are halting a massive pipeline project for Kentucky that drew heavy opposition from residents and environmentalists.
Williams Co. and Boardwalk Pipeline Partners said in a web posting Monday that they were not able to assemble a large enough customer base for the natural gas liquids that would be delivered by the proposed Bluegrass Pipeline.
Kentucky's portion of the line would travel about 180 miles through more than a
dozen counties. The pipeline would have connected the shale gas-rich areas in
the northeast to the Gulf of Mexico.
But opposition to the proposal was swift and widespread, coming from activists,
residents near the planned route and even a group of Marion County nuns.
In the web posting, the companies say they are ``not investing additional
capital at this time.''
WUKY In Depth