Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Wed March 21, 2012
Bluegrass Local Food Summit Kicks Off
LEXINGTON, Ky. - The fifth annual Bluegrass Local Food Summit begins Thursday, March 22nd, and promises a wide array of events centered on the theme “Eating From Our Own Soil.”
Each day of the summit will focus on a different topic – with Thursday highlighting the role of local government in creating programs to support local food systems, Friday spotlighting community partners, and Saturday emphasizing building community skills through school gardens and youth gatherings.
"This is like our version of March Madness. We've got five days of speakers, workshops, films..." says organizer Jim Embry.
Those speakers will include Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer, Food Rebels author Mark Winne, and chef Jeremy Ashby. The event will end with a free screening of the film Farmageddon at the Central Public Library on Tuesday, March 27th. More information can be found at sustainlex.org.