Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Fri August 2, 2013
Blood Center Issues Urgent Call For Specific Donors
LEXINGTON, Ky. -- The Kentucky Blood Center has issued an urgent need for donors with O negative, B negative and A negative blood types.
KBC officials say those specific blood types are being distributed to Kentucky hospitals almost as quickly as donations are coming in.
O negative donors are especially needed, not just because their blood is rare, but because they are considered universal donors. Only about 7% of the population is O negative, but because it can be given to people of all blood types, it's the type doctors in trauma centers and emergency rooms reach for most often.
The shortage of negative blood types is not just an issue in Central Kentucky. Blood banks all over the country are reporting similar problems and are urging those specific donors to give soon.