Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Sun August 5, 2012
Big Win For Britain: Murray Takes Men's Tennis Title
Originally published on Sun August 5, 2012 5:58 pm
He did it by defeating the same man who beat him at Wimbledon in July.
Murray bested Switzerland's Roger Federer today in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1, 6-4. Federer. (Note: In this post's original version, we said Federer was the defending Olympic champion, but he won the men's doubles in 2008. Spain's Rafael Nadal won gold at the Beijing Games. Our apologies.)
Update at 11:25 a.m. ET. "Tee hee!"
The Guardian captures the excitement:
"This bears repeating: IT'S GOLD FOR ANDY MURRAY!!!!!
"Tee hee! It's Britain's first gold medal in tennis since 1908. The history boy. It's the first time Murray has beaten Federer in a five-set match too."