Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is July 25 with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue May 8, 2012
Beshears Serve Up Kansas Steak Burgers As Part Of Basketball Bet
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear and First Lady Jane Beshear visited Lexington's Hope Center to present the spoils of a victorious basketball bet.
For the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship game, Beshear and Kansas Governor Sam Brownbeck promised to send food to a charity in the other state if their team lost the national championship. The victorious Beshears prepared and presented the Hope Center with the bounty; hundreds of Kansas steakburgers, with the patties shaped like the famous UK Logo.
Carrie Thayer, Director of Development, believes that it was an excellent way to celebrate the UK victory.
“You know we feed high quality meals, but this is just a really fun, to have a Kansas Steakburger. That it’s all tied to the UK championship is a really cool thing.”
Prior to serving up the grub, the Beshears led Hope Center clients in an impromptu Cats, Cats, Cats cheer.
The donation of food will benefit clients of the Hope Center’s emergency shelter, addiction treatment, and mental health programs.