Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is July 25 with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- NBC News' Chuck Todd: Kentucky Poised To Become "Center Of Political Universe"
Wed January 15, 2014
Beshear Unveils Plan To Expand Mountain Parkway
Gov. Steve Beshear has unveiled a $753.6 million plan to widen and extend the Mountain Parkway.
The project will eventually create a four-lane highway from the bluegrass region to Pikeville in eastern Kentucky. Beshear said Wednesday the proposal is part of the state highway plan he'll present to lawmakers.
He says it's expected that tolls will eventually be collected along the parkway to help finance the project.
The announcement comes as eastern Kentucky struggles from a downturn in its coal industry.
Beshear says it's time eastern Kentucky has the same four-lane access as other regions.
The proposal won praise from House Speaker Greg Stumbo and Senate President Robert Stivers. Both are from eastern Kentucky. Stumbo says the project will create an economic lifeline to an area that needs it.