Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TOMORROW!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Fri April 3, 2009
Beshear Taking Heat For Mongiardo Endorsement
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – Last Friday, Governor Steve Beshear endorsed Lt. Governor Dan Mongiardo's Democratic campaign for the U-S Senate seat currently held by Republican Jim Bunning. But the endorsement was issued through state email on official letterhead. Beshear spokesman Jay Blanton sees nothing wrong with that. "The governor's office has been asked the question several times about his stance on that race and that question is asked in his capacity as governor. And he was responding in his capacity as governor."
The Kentucky Registry of Election Finance referred us to the Federal Election Commission, which sees no violation of federal campaign laws. The attorney general's office says use of state letterhead may raise ethical questions, but that's a matter for the Executive Branch Ethics Commission, which has received no complaints.