Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue March 24, 2009
Beshear Says Sprint Cup Race Won't Happen Without Incentives
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – Governor Beshear says Kentucky Speedway officials are telling him without state incentives, there's a good chance the track won't be able to land a NASCAR Sprint Cup race for 2010. The tax incentives, once a separate bill, have been attached to the governor's economic incentives bill, which is still awaiting final action. "That would be a tragedy, if we miss that opportunity."
House leaders say new rules only allow consideration of vetoes during the last two days of the session, but Beshear hopes the Democratic majority will waive the rules. "I certainly would urge them to suspend the rules."
Senate President David Williams says if they don't, the Senate will act on some gubernatorial appointments Thursday and then adjourn for the year.