Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue August 6, 2013
Beshear Says Ky. Third In Car Production Nationally
FRANKFORT, Ky. -- Gov. Steve Beshear is bragging about Kentucky's standing as the nation's third-ranked automobile-producing state.
Beshear said Monday that only Ohio and Michigan produced more vehicles in the first half of 2013. And he said Kentucky is on pace to surpass last year's production total of more than 1 million vehicles.
The second-term Democrat said growth in the automobile industry means more jobs and a stronger economy in Kentucky.
Last year, the state's four assembly plants produced 1,025,730 vehicles. Beshear said he expects to top that this year by some 290,000 vehicles.
Kentucky has plants that produce Ford and Toyota as well as GM's sporty Corvette. The state also has more than 450 automobile-related plants.