Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Mon October 28, 2013
Beshear, Rogers Announce Appalachian Initiative
Kentucky political leaders have rolled out another initiative intended to find ways to bolster the economy in Appalachia.
Gov. Steve Beshear and U.S. Rep. Hal Rogers held a joint press conference in Hazard on Monday to unveil the latest effort, which they dubbed SOAR, Shaping Our Appalachian Region.
Beshear said the economic woes of recent years have hurt Appalachia and intensified the hardships of families in the mountain region. He and Rogers have scheduled a summit of public and private sector leaders to find solutions to problems the region faces.
Beshear and Rogers cited the loss of thousands of coal jobs in eastern Kentucky as one of the reasons for calling the summit, which will be held on Dec. 9 at the Eastern Kentucky Exposition Center in Pikeville.