Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TODAY!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
Mon April 15, 2013
Beshear Reiterates He Won't Be Taking On McConnell
FRANKFORT, Ky. -- Gov. Steve Beshear says he won't run against U.S. Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell despite encouragement from lots of people do so.
Beshear told reporters at a Capitol press conference Monday that Democratic leaders continue to urge him to run next year. But the second-term governor reiterated he won't seek election to any other office.
McConnell is up for re-election next year, and Democrats continue to try to find a candidate to run against him. Actress Ashley Judd had considered challenging McConnell, but announced last month that she wouldn't.
Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes hasn't ruled out entering the race.
Challengers will face a well-funded McConnell. He is expected to report to the Federal Election Commission Monday that he has raised nearly $12 million for his campaign.