Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TODAY!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
Wed January 13, 2010
Beshear Launches "Smart Government" Initiative
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – Calling it his "Smart Government" policy, Gov. Beshear says the initiative expands on efficiencies instituted during his first two years in office. For one thing, Beshear says the ten percent pay cut he agreed to last year will continue this year. "And again, Lt. Gov. Mongiardo and several members of my closest circle of advisors are joining me. But this year, we will also be joined by the secretaries of my cabinet."
The governor also plans to sell off at least two state airplanes, reduce the amount of leased property, consolidate cell phone services, unload surplus property, and renegotiate contracts with vendors. The governor says potential savings from the actions will be reflected in his budget proposal, which he unveils next Tuesday.