Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Mon July 16, 2012
Beshear Creates Panel To Review Child Abuse Cases
FRANKFORT, Ky.-- Gov. Steve Beshear is creating an independent panel to review deaths and serious injuries in case of child abuse and neglect.
Beshear issued an executive order on Monday establishing the Child Fatality and Near Fatality External Review Panel.
The governor said the panel will look at the actions of state government agencies to ensure they performed as they were supposed to.
The 17-member panel will be attached to the Justice and Public Safety Cabinet and will be made up of representatives of law enforcement, social services and all three branches of state government.
Members will meet quarterly to review child deaths and serious injuries. Their findings will be made public and published in an annual report submitted to the governor, health secretary, Supreme Court and the legislature.