Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Fri April 30, 2010
Bardstown Man Featured In Time Magazine
By Alan Lytle
Lexington, KY – U.S. Air Force Chief Master Sergeant Antonio D. Travis helped co-ordinate the relief efforts in the early hours after the January 12th Haitian earthquake. Sergeant Travis led a tactical team to secure the international airport in Port Au Prince so that planes carrying badly needed humanitarian aid could safely land there. It's estimated that at the height of the crisis, Sergeant Travis's Unit handled up to 250 aircraft per day without incident. In testimony before Congress earlier this year, Travis described the makeshift air traffic control center as a "card table set up next to the runway." The Time Magazine issue, with Sergeant Travis's profile, hits newsstands Friday.