Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TOMORROW!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
Wed March 5, 2014
ARC Awards Grant To Ky. Promise Zone
The Appalachian Regional Commission has awarded funding to launch the Promise Zone program in eight counties in southeastern Kentucky.
A statement from the organization says the $250,000 grant will allow the Kentucky Highlands Investment Corporation to begin implementing the program in the counties of Bell, Clay, Harlan, Knox, Leslie, Letcher, Perry and Whitley counties.
President Barack Obama announced in January that the region was one of five that would be targeted for tax incentives and federal grants under a government "Promise Zone" program.
Under the program, the federal government will partner with the communities to create jobs, improve the economy and expand educational opportunities.