Most Active Stories
- Junior League Show Spotlights Different Kind Of Horse, Rider
- "Leaky Bucket" Report Finds Progress In Ky. Spending Trends
- Will The Building Boom Continue In Downtown Lexington?
- Bunbury and Buckle Up Music Festivals present... WUKY's Phoenix Fridays
- Parents Rally To Keep Jacobson Park Playground Creative
Mon July 15, 2013
Appeals Court To Weigh Arguments In High-Profile Escapee's Case
LEXINGTON, Ky.-- A federal appeals court is set to consider issues related to the guilty plea and sentencing of a federal inmate with Mafia ties who escaped from custody while in Kentucky.
The U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals announced Monday it will consider briefs from prosecutors and 40-year-old Derek Albert Capozzi starting Aug. 1. The case will be submitted in legal briefs. Capozzi was sentenced to 51 months in prison escaping while being transferred to a federal prison in Pennsylvania. Capozzi later pleaded guilty.
The sentence runs consecutively with the 23-year sentence he is serving for his role in the 1996 killing and dismemberment of a potential government witness.
Capozzi had been in Kentucky to testify at a trial. He is currently in a federal prison in Florence, Colo.