Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue August 31, 2010
And The Winner Is: Oliver Lewis Way
By Brenna Angel
LEXINGTON, Ky. – The Newtown Pike Extension has a new name: Oliver Lewis Way. It was the majority winner in a city-wide naming contest.
Oliver Lewis was an African-American jockey from Lexington who won the 1875 Kentucky Derby aboard Aristides. Local resident Julie Galbraith submitted the entry. Other finalists for the Newtown Pike Extension name were Mary Todd Lincoln Boulevard, Bolivar Street, Equestrian Boulevard, and Millennium Road.
City officials say the first phase of the roadway between Main Street and Versailles Road will be open in time for the start of the World Equestrian Games.