Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue August 14, 2012
Alpine Championship Attracts Finger Wrestlers
DAVID GREENE, HOST:
Good morning. I'm David Greene. Legend has it that in Bavaria, finger wrestling once settled disputes. Well, now it's about bragging rights. A German news site, The Local, reports that 150 men turned out for the Alpine Finger Wrestling Championship. Some were decked out in lederhosen, those Bavarian shorts and suspenders. Think tug-of-war, but in this case each competitor locks a finger through a leather loop, the goal: to drag your opponent across the table. And you thought thumb wars were violent. You're listening to MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright National Public Radio.