Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Wed March 24, 2010
Activist Delivers Palestinian Perspective On Peace Talks
By Herrington - Lytle
Lexington, KY – Activist Dr. Hanan Ashrawi, the first woman to hold a seat in the Palestine Liberation Organization, addressed the recent growth of Israeli settlements in the West Bank; accusing Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of not really wanting a two-state solution.
"For example: he has accepted a two state solution but he said it must have no army, it must give up most of its territory, the Israelis have to control the airspace and the crossing points and the borders, and that we have to give up the Jordan Valley there has to be an Israeli army there and so on and so on, and while he accepts the principle in practice and with the preconditions he totally negates the political position."
Dr. Ashrawi's speech at UK's Singletary Center was in response to last fall's visit by former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert.