Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TOMORROW!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
Tue June 11, 2013
56th House District Change Boosts Democratic Voter Rolls Ahead Of Election
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Kentucky Republicans are registering their disapproval of a move by Fayette County Clerk Don Belvins which will add 114 mostly Democratic voters to the 56th state House district only weeks before a special election will be held there.
Belvins, a Democrat, says he is simply correcting a precinct boundary error that had been overlooked for close to 16 years. He recently notified voters registered at 2070 Garden Springs Drive, site of Turfland Apartments, that they were incorrectly assigned to the Pershing voting precinct.
But state Republican Party chairman Steve Robertson says he’s disappointed with the decision and what he called a “lack of transparency” in the process.
Voters in the 56th district will soon vote on a replacement for Democrat Carl Rollins, who resigned to take a higher education job. Of the 114 registered voters being moved, 67 are Democrats, 29 are Republicans, and 18 are independents.