Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Mon August 6, 2012
45th District Race Gets More Crowded
FRANKFORT, Ky. - A third candidate has entered the race in Kentucky’s 45th District to challenge Republican Representative Stan Lee, but the contender is not a Democrat.
Geoff Young, a candidate who helped found the Kentucky Green Party last July, filed his paperwork with the Secretary of State this Monday. With no Democrat in the race, Young will run against independent Breck Withers and incumbent Stan Lee, who has held the office since 2001.
Young’s priorities include ending mountaintop removal, removing the influence of “big money” in politics, lowering energy costs, and the legalization of industrial hemp. He also says he wants to inject a degree of “civility” into the political scene.
“Mr. Lee has been there long enough and we have seen the type of politics that he practices. I would like to practice a more inclusive and cooperative form of political interaction."
Originally from Massachusetts, Young has lived in Lexington since 1982, and is married. He has challenged Rep. Lee to a series of three debates to kickstart his campaign.