Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TODAY!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Sat September 1, 2012
22 Ky. Children Die Of Abuse, Neglect In Past Year
FRANKFORT, Ky. -- A state report says at least 22 Kentucky children died in the past year as a result of abuse and neglect.
The annual report from the Cabinet for Health and Family Services released Friday says the deaths have decreased in recent years.
The Lexington Herald-Leader reports there were 31 child abuse deaths for fiscal year 2011, 36 the year before, 29 in 2009 and 30 in 2008.
Child advocates say the drop in child abuse deaths is good news, but 22 is still too many.
The report says 33 additional children were "nearly killed" or sustained life-threatening injuries as a result of abuse in the past year, and a total of 15,699 Kentucky children were abused or neglected over the last 12 months that ended June 30.