Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is July 25 with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Wed January 6, 2010
2010 Session Under Way
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – "House will come to order!" House Speaker Greg Stumbo, bringing the 2010 session to order. It's a 60-day session that will be dominated by debate over a new two-year budget. And with lawmakers still looking for new revenue sources, Speaker Stumbo intends to again offer legislation allowing video slots at horse tracks. "You never know what might happen, but I don't see any reason for the House to take that up unless we know that there's going to be a different outcome in the Senate."
Similar legislation passed this House last summer, only to die in Senate committee. One of the first orders of business for the House was the swearing-in of Rep. Jill York of Carter County, who replaces Robin Webb, who's now a state senator.